If you have a website, landing page, or funnel… you need to know about this!
Google Analytics 4 is Here!
There was a BIG update in the Google analytics world this week as the company released Google Analytics 4.
It’s basically a new platform that is Google’s vision for the future of analytics.
This is really exciting and I’ll tell you why…
Google Analytics 4 will give you robust analytics tools… it has the more complex “pro” functions that people pay LOTS of money for. My friend Jennifer Grayeb from The Nimble Co. (she tipped me off about this change) described it as “all the Google nerds working for your business.”
Why You Care…
One of the biggest benefits you’re going to get is predictive analytics. I know this may be a techy word, but predictive analytics will help you know so much more about your business and marketing! Things like…
- Where are you losing people in your website as they scroll through
- Where people are clicking on your page
- How much of a video they are watching
What to Do Now…
So what should you do about this? Set up a 2nd property today.
Setting up a 2nd property today will give you a head start. You’ll be in on the ground floor for the future of Google Analytics, and you’ll be a native to all the powerful analytic tools.
If you don’t set it up now, and in 6 months realize that this is the direction Google is going before you switch it over, then you’ve lost 6 months of precious data.
People that set this up today (even if they don’t understand what this means fully) are going to have the 6 months of data and have a competitive advantage.
However, this tool is still in the baby phases. There’s a lot to learn and there may well be kinks that Google Analytics has to work out.
I’m here to tell you what you do and do not need to do right now – this is what Jennifer told me so I’m sharing it with you.
❌ DO NOT switch over all of your stuff to Google Analytics 4.
✅ DO start a 2nd property in your account with Google Analytics 4.
By doing this you can keep what you currently have and also start getting the new data, the new features, and “nerd” power building up in your account.
You won’t have to worry about…
- Losing what you currently have
- Switching everything immediately (change is hard work)
- Any kinks in the tool messing up your data
- The fact that you don’t know how to use this new tool
It only takes 5 minutes, it’s super low commitment, it won’t mess up your current system, and it could massively benefit you in the long run.
The Technical Nitty Gritty
Here’s how you can set up a second property right now:
- Log into Google Analytics account
- Click on the gear icon in the bottom left corner
- Click on Admin.
- There are 3 columns that pop up. In the middle Property column, click “Add new property”
- BE CAREFUL HERE, you’ll also see a button that says “Upgrade to G4.” Don’t click that button (the goal is to create a 2nd property, not mess up your current setup)
- After you click “Add new property,” it’ll pop up and ask you what kind of property.
- Hit “Web” if you’re doing it for a website. Then, it will ask you to make a new “Stream”. Go ahead and do this and leave the defaults. This will make sure it’s a G4 account.
- Another thing will pop up asking if it’s for an existing or new account. Choose “existing” and it’ll give you directions if you use analytics or tab manager and what you need to add.
- Add the new tracking code to your website(s). I use Google Tag Manager and it’s integrated into there.
Again, do not replace your current system. You’re creating a new, 2nd property. Treat it like you have 2 separate Google Analytics accounts.
Yes, you’ll have 2 tracking codes but that’s ok.
If you have any questions, pop them in the comments and ask me! I would love to answer your questions!